Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cchienskuo
Returning Member

What do I need to do in Turbo Tax to get the capital-gain tax break from cash/property distribution (i.e. box 16d of Schedule K1)?

Using Turbo Tax Premiere, I see that the tax rate on my distribution (box 16d) is much higher than the typical capital gain rate (15-20%). TT seems to be treating all of box 1 as normal income and did not split it into income and distribution. How to tell TT that part of box 1 is distribution and get the capital gain rate on that portion?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What do I need to do in Turbo Tax to get the capital-gain tax break from cash/property distribution (i.e. box 16d of Schedule K1)?

I believe you are not understanding the tax impact of the various boxes on your schedule K-1.

As TGB pointed out, on a properly prepared schedule k-1, box 1 is ordinary income and taxed at ordinary income tax rates.

Box 16 with a code D, is generally not taxable.  This is generally just a distribution of cash to you on income you have already paid tax on (such as box 1).  

As a shareholder in an S corporation, you should be tracking your basis in your investment.  The only time box 16 with a code D is taxable to you, is if you receive a cash distribution in excess of your basis; i.e. your basis cannot go below zero.  If you do receive a distribution that exceeds your basis, this amount is taxable as a capital gain and is reported on Schedule D and the applicable form 8949 of your personal tax return form 1040.

If you believe that all of your k-1 box 1 is not ordinary income, then that means the 1120S and the schedule K-1(s) are incorrectly prepared and an amended corporate tax return needs to be prepared.

If you complete your tax return with information that does not match the K-1, you will at some point receive a matching notice from the IRS.  

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

All of box 1 *IS* normal taxable income.  Distributions are NOT taxable unless the distributions are more than your "basis" (which is unusual for most people).

Why do you think something is a capital gain?

I believe you are not understanding the tax impact of the various boxes on your schedule K-1.

As TGB pointed out, on a properly prepared schedule k-1, box 1 is ordinary income and taxed at ordinary income tax rates.

Box 16 with a code D, is generally not taxable.  This is generally just a distribution of cash to you on income you have already paid tax on (such as box 1).  

As a shareholder in an S corporation, you should be tracking your basis in your investment.  The only time box 16 with a code D is taxable to you, is if you receive a cash distribution in excess of your basis; i.e. your basis cannot go below zero.  If you do receive a distribution that exceeds your basis, this amount is taxable as a capital gain and is reported on Schedule D and the applicable form 8949 of your personal tax return form 1040.

If you believe that all of your k-1 box 1 is not ordinary income, then that means the 1120S and the schedule K-1(s) are incorrectly prepared and an amended corporate tax return needs to be prepared.

If you complete your tax return with information that does not match the K-1, you will at some point receive a matching notice from the IRS.  

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies