Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Leeg20

unable to delete unwanted red lines

unable to delete pinkest/red lines.  How can I delete them so I can proceed with my tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

@ Leeg20 wrote:

unable to delete pinkest/red lines.  How can I delete them so I can proceed with my tax returns?

Are you using desktop software (CD/download)?

If so, more info is needed.  Where exactly are you seeing these--on what specific form and data line?   And how are you entering data into your return?   Are you trying to do it in Forms Mode instead of the step-by-step interview mode?   

Are figures pink/red, or do you mean the entire entry box is pink/red and won't allow an entry?

Does it concern data that transferred in from last year?  Is it by any chance a Schedule C, and are you trying to make a direct entry or edit using Forms Mode?   If so, in what section of Schedule C--is it "Part V other expenses?"   If so, we can tell you how to clear that up.

Otherwise, if that's not it, then please state what form and data line is the problematic one.

vhill8429

On the return under 'Other Business expenses' there are pink & yellow lines with no entries.

I have attempted to delete them but not working.  Will not let me file return until deleted.

Anyone know how to do that?  Ctrl-X is not working

vhill8429

Yes..using desktop download

Schedule C, Part V Other expenses.   I show two other expenses but the lines below that are pink & blue.

Need to delete before I can file.

vhill8429

It is Schedule C, Part V, Other expenses

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

It depends.  You may review all the entries on your Schedule C form and delete all the zeros and leave it blank.  You can also do a Federal Review:

1. In Tax Home Screen, click Federal.
  2. Jump to Federal Review.
  3. Under Federal review, it will display the error/s on your federal income tax.
  4. Click each review, it should take you to the line that had error/s.
  5. Once fixed, you go back to Federal Review to check if it's ready to e-file.

@ vhill8429  wrote:

Yes..using desktop download

Schedule C, Part V Other expenses.   I show two other expenses but the lines below that are pink & blue.

Need to delete before I can file.

I assume you are in Forms Mode.  If those problem lines are due to items that transferred in from your 2019 return, here are a couple of ways to get rid of them.  See if one of these works:

1)  Go to the Schedule C Worksheet instead, and see if unwanted expenses from last year are showing up and can be deleted.

2)   Or, go back to the Interview Mode (step by step), and near the end of the expenses screens, look at the miscellaneous expenses section and make any corrections there to remove unwanted items from last year.

NOTE:  Normally, it's best to make changes in the Interview Mode to be sure that everything flows correctly from the interview to Sched C Worksheet then to Schedule C.   That Schedule C, Part V section was quirky the last couple of years when people tried to make entries in Forms Mode directly on the Schedule C (not recommended), and things often didn't flow correctly retrograde from the Schedule C to the Sched C Worksheet and back to the interview, creating some discrepancies.   If you make all the entries/edits for that section in the Interview mode, then it should (hopefully) be consistent in the interview, Schedule C Worksheet, and Schedule C.

Be sure to review your Schedule C carefully before filing to be sure everything appears correct in that Sched C, Part V section.

On my K-1 I have a "z" in box 20 and an amount for unadjusted basis of assets.  The form when I put in Z in the box states section 199A information and I cannot find a place for unadjusted basis of assets.  I cannot make the box without the pink and now I have the pink in the next box down as well.  I put "0" in that box hoping to get rid of it because I cannot delete it at all.  I have tried backspacing and delete, no luck.  I also tried to put in the "unadjusted basis of assets" into the explanation box that pops up, no luck.  Please help  sam4613

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify if you are using the Online version or the desktop version of TurboTax?  The steps to correct this are a little different between the two so I want to answer directly for you!

@sam4613

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am using the desktop version and I initially used the "step by step" method of entering data.  The biggest problem now is that it will not let me efile with this "error".  Sam4613

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Thank you.  The "unadjusted basis of assets" is actually the "Unadjusted Basis In Assets" and shows the anachronym UBIA on the forms in TurboTax.  The easiest way to ensure you have everything entered correctly is to go back to the Step-by-Step mode and follow these steps:

1. Within your return use the magnifying glass icon to search K-1 and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  2. This will take you to the Schedules K-1 or Q screen.
  3. Answer Yes and follow the prompts. 
  4. Click Update for your Partnership K-1 and Edit on the K-1 you need to correct.
  5. Answer the questions and click Continue until you get to the We need some information about your 199A income screen
  6. Check the boxes and enter all amounts listed on your Statement A including "XXX has UBIA of qualified property" 

@sam4613

Sorry, I completely followed all the instructions and it did not work.  I still have 2 pink boxes  on the form and it still won't let me file the return.  Ideas???

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

@sam4613
Please clarify the title or description relating to the boxes in pink. Also, if the page has a title, please provide this as well.

It is Box 20 on my K-1 had  Z and an asterisk and referred me to the information regarding Schedule of activities with my K-1 for the 199A number.  I put in the Z and the number where it requested it, but those lines were pink.  When I tried to delete them so I could reenter those same entries, I couldn't.  Then when I checked my completed return, this area came up as an error and I was unable to either file my return or change those boxes.  I am at my wits end and really would appreciate a solution.    Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies