Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: K1 has values in box 1 and 2. Turbo Tax says input as two K1s. Do I input the values in boxes 17, 19 and 20 into both K1s? Or is this double counting?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: K1 has values in box 1 and 2. Turbo Tax says input as two K1s. Do I input the values in boxes 17, 19 and 20 into both K1s? Or is this double counting?

No, that is double counting.  Because there is information in both Boxes 1 and 2, you will need to complete entries for one K-1 with all the information except for Box 2.  Then, Add Another K-1 but only include the amount in Box 2 (don't enter the rest of the numbers for that one). 

rubs76
Returning Member

I did exactly this but it is only showing amount from box 1 on 1040 and not from box 2, for example i added -$380 from 1st box on 1st K-1 and -$250 from box 2 on 2nd K-1 so i was expecting $-630 but it only showing $-380
renos

@TurboTaxKarenL2 How do you deal with a complete sale of the scenario you described above? Is there any cost basis for the second K-1 (the one with only Box 2 info)? Or should we just leave sale price, partnership basis, etc. blank for the second K-1, and only fill in/adjust that info for the first ("base") K-1?
milipa1
Returning Member

How about the capital information it asks you, when you start a "new" K-1 it asks you to fill out Begining Capital End Capital, do you do that only for the 2 of the K-1s or only if relevant.

milipa1
Returning Member

How about the capital information it asks you, when you start a "new" K-1 it asks you to fill out Begining Capital End Capital, do you do that only for the 2 of the K-1s or only if relevant.

i followed this method and because box 1 had a loss BUT no other data entered for that second K1, IRS challenged it saying that since there was no investment shown at risk on that second k1, they disallowed the loss (above the standard $3000).  THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH TURBO TAX NEEDS FIXING

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies