turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keithkrueger
Returning Member

TurboTax Causing Federal Refund Delay

I have always used TurboTax for my taxes, but this year it has caused me an up-to 120 day delay in receiving my federal tax refund.  Here was the issue. I did my taxes (in TurboTax) in early February, and as a result of getting a nice, needed refund, I decided to file my taxes in mid-February.  At that time, TurboTax found no errors in my return.  Twenty two (22) days later, I receive a letter from the IRS stating that my return needed to be reviewed and this review could take up to 120 days to complete.  I then went back into TurboTax, to verify all reporting (which was 100% accurate), but now the final TurboTax review is advising that line 16a of Form 1099-R needed to be populated before filing; this check / form requirement was obviously caught then added to TurboTax after I filed!

So I guess the lesson learned here is to use another more reliable tax software, or use TurboTax but don’t file your return early.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
keithkrueger
Returning Member

Please note this has been re-posted in the “Tax law changes” forum . . .  Please ignore here.

shehriar1

It's frustrating to hear about the delay in receiving your federal tax refund due to an issue with TurboTax. It seems there was a discrepancy with line 16a of Form 1099-R, which was only flagged after you filed your taxes. TurboTax customer support should assist in resolving this issue. In the future, double-checking all forms before filing could help prevent similar delays.

keithkrueger
Returning Member

I did verify all tax form entries before I filed and entered exactly as shown on form. In the case of line 16a on Form 1099-R, this field was blank on the provided form. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies