Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Balance sheet is out of balance sheet is out of balance by the 50% unallowable meals deduction. QuickBooks is in balance. How do I correct TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax Balance sheet is out of balance sheet is out of balance by the 50% unallowable meals deduction. QuickBooks is in balance. How do I correct TurboTax?

You should reduce Retained earnings by the amount of the 50% unallowable meals expense. That unallowable amount is reported on line 3b of Schedule M-1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You should reduce Retained earnings by the amount of the 50% unallowable meals expense. That unallowable amount is reported on line 3b of Schedule M-1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ksc999000

I ran into this same issue.  The answer above wasn't clear to me; nor was it correct in my case.  Before presenting the calculated (by TT) Retained Earnings amount that disagrees with QB, TT ask if the Booked Income matches the Taxible Income.  I mistook this to be the Taxible income calculated by QB and said yes because both Taxable incomes agreed.  However, I should have said no, the booked income does not match the taxable income.  They were off by the amount of the 50% meals deduction limit.  Once I answered that question correctly by saying NO, the next screen allowed me to make the adjustment to Retained Earnings in TT.  At that point, the TT calculated RE matched the QB calculated RE.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies