Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT business repeats a beneficiary

I can't find this answer anywhere.  Both 2019 and 2018 TT business duplicate one of my trust beneficiaries.  I have 4 beneficiaries, but one always gets duplicated to make 5.  If I delete the duplicate, when I come back the duplicate is still there and one of the other beneficiaries is gone and I need to put their info in again.  I have tried going into worksheets and forms to get rid of the duplicate, but it always comes back.  If I edit the duplicate and change it to one of the other beneficiaries, it still comes back in its original form.   I have to make the duplicate entry have 0% of the trust income and distribution.  Just for more info, the trustee is also a beneficiary.  Obviously I am doing something wrong.  I used this in 2016 and 2017, no problem.  2018 and 2019 this problem began.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Kayla Marie
Returning Member

I am having the same problem and there doesn't seem to be a way to correct either. I have even deleted the beneficiaries in 'forms' and step by step and tried to correct it, but it goes right back to the erroneous beneficiary information. I am so frustrated with Turbo Tax Business 2020. It is the worst I have seen in the many, many years I have used it. For example: you have to bring up Form 6781 yourself--good luck if you don't know about it because it is not a part of step-by-step. Also, page 2 of Form 8582 does not print filled in. You have to bring it up (again, good luck if you don't know it should be included) separately by clicking on 'Forms' at the left and then 'open forms' and typing in Form 8582. Page 2 of Form 8582 CLEARLY says " Caution: The worksheets must be filed with your tax return." This product is the worst it has been. I'm looking at options to get some restitution with their 60-day money back guarantee. I have spent days working through these problems when it should have been done in hours and now I'm waiting for an hour to speak to someone on the phone. Not happy. 

Kayla Marie
Returning Member

Follow-up: I talked to a lovely girl at TT who could not find a solution either. Very nice and tried to find a solution and reached up the ladder to someone who may be able to help. No luck. After we got off the phone, I reinstalled with the CD to see if that would solve it. Didn't. Still having the same problem with the beneficiaries. I will complete those by downloading from IRS.gov and will put in for a refund from Turbo Tax. Of note: you need to purchase a CD from a third -party like Costco to get the refund. I want to add one other thing to my other complaints: TT 2020 Business does not allow you to import your broker's information. You have to hand enter it. I really hate that TT has let me down. Up until now, the product improved year over year. Now I feel like it is an infant product with no adult in the house. 

Kayla Marie
Returning Member

I'm giving this one last try. Go to Forms, then scroll down to Beneficiary List. You can click on those entries and *maybe* correct it. A little magnifying glass will come up. Click on it and see if you can fix it that way. I am crossing my fingers that this will fix it....staring at the screen...hoping. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies