Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The mother of my children got the stimulus check... but I am claiming them for 2020. I don't need a Stimulus credit since my kids got their share w/her, what can I do?

My children in 2019 tax year were their mothers dependents for last year as she made more money. This year I am claiming them as I made more money, and Turbo is saying I am being credited the stimulus package that include my 2 children, even though their mother got it for them already as she claimed them for last years tax return. I strongly feel like I don't need this credit and we don't see the need to have the IRS on her neck to pay back as we solved it individually. So big question is, how do I go about this, and what is going to happen as Turbo doesn't let me decline the "credit" as they feel like it's still owed to me when it is not.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The mother of my children got the stimulus check... but I am claiming them for 2020. I don't need a Stimulus credit since my kids got their share w/her, what can I do?

You are entitled to the additional payment. That's the way the stimulus payments work. You will not have the IRS on your neck because they know that parents who are not married can both end up getting the stimulus money for the same child. It's okay. Just leave it the way it is.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are entitled to the additional payment. That's the way the stimulus payments work. You will not have the IRS on your neck because they know that parents who are not married can both end up getting the stimulus money for the same child. It's okay. Just leave it the way it is.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies