Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgmpow

The Box numbers on my W-2 do not match the labels used by Turbo Tax. For example Box 4 on my W-2 is Fed taxes . Tax labels box 2 as Fed Taxes. Which do I use?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

The Box numbers on my W-2 do not match the labels used by Turbo Tax. For example Box 4 on my W-2 is Fed taxes . Tax labels box 2 as Fed Taxes. Which do I use?

The boxes on the federal forms are standardized, so you are probably entering another type of form.

You may be trying to enter a W-2G - Gambling Winnings.  Box 4 on the W-2G is Federal income tax withheld.

To enter the W-2G, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income   
    2. In the Less Common Income section , click on the Start/Update box next to gambling winnings. 
    3. On the Gambling Winnings screen, click the Yes box.
    4. On the screen, Let's get the details from your W-2G, enter the information from the W-2G form you received.  
    5. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information. 
    6. You will also be able to enter any gambling losses, since gambling losses can be deducted as an itemized deduction up to the total of reported gambling and prize winnings.  

[Edited | 4/10/2020 |  1:03pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

The boxes on the federal forms are standardized, so you are probably entering another type of form.

You may be trying to enter a W-2G - Gambling Winnings.  Box 4 on the W-2G is Federal income tax withheld.

To enter the W-2G, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income   
    2. In the Less Common Income section , click on the Start/Update box next to gambling winnings. 
    3. On the Gambling Winnings screen, click the Yes box.
    4. On the screen, Let's get the details from your W-2G, enter the information from the W-2G form you received.  
    5. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information. 
    6. You will also be able to enter any gambling losses, since gambling losses can be deducted as an itemized deduction up to the total of reported gambling and prize winnings.  

[Edited | 4/10/2020 |  1:03pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies