Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pike5131

Started an AirBnb business how do i file the partnership return correctly/married

Hello all, I have been doing my taxes on turbo tax for 20+ years,  we started a Airbnb business this year and I am a bit lost.  My wife and I have a partnership 50/50 on our LLC and our management company issues a 1099-MISC. 

Question 1 - TurboTax stated I need to file a Schedule C for my wife and I and split Incom and expenses....which is fine i can do that but its a headache revise everything but I assume that's necessary...right?

Question 2 - We only have 1 1099-MISC from the management company so do I enter this twice and split the number between both of us?  Will that cause and issue with the IRS when the 1099 does not match since i split it?

Question 3 - How do i handle deprecation assets...example we put in a new AC $5000 do I put $2500 under her and $2500 under mine?

Question 4 - The house itself assume the value is  $400k so i now split this asset $200k her and 200k me and split land cost also etc...

Thanks for your help I enjoy learning and doing this myself vs paying someone to do it.

how d

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Started an AirBnb business how do i file the partnership return correctly/married

First, you should have filed a 1065 partnership return this year.  That would pass the income through to you at a lower tax rate.  Unfortunately, that return was due on March 15th and if you file it now you'll owe at least $440 as late fees and another $440 for every month (or part of a month) that it arrives late.  

Since you're not doing the partnership return (which you don't have to do - an LLC is a disregarded entity) there is no point in splitting the partnership up on your schedule C for this year.  Just enter it all under your name or your wife's name.

And then use the 1065 next year for sure.

@pike5131 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pike5131

Thanks for the response now I know why my friend was telling me to file the extension last week ugh.    The business shows a loss this year so it should be ok on the tax front.  Thanks for that information.

pike5131

I thought you have until 4/15 to file your taxes, why did you mention 3/15?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your personal tax return Form 1040 is due April 15, but the partnership Form 1065 is due a month earlier, on March 15.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies