Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sold rental property, own 50%, TT is allocating 100% to me and gross profit not net!

I sold a rental property last year for a profit, 50% ownership. Have had TT allocate for other properties in the past but first one I've sold. Appears to be allocating entire amount to me and doesn't appear to be considering the purchase price in the equation either! So taxed on gross sale less expenses, not net (gross less expenses less purchase price or appears that way). Only owned house for a year and a day so not much depreciation to recapture so not that I don't think.

All it asks about sale (in depreciation section) is: sales price and sales expenses. Also, wants to break it down between 'asset' and 'land' which I am ignoring as no clue on how to determine.

Doesn't ask for original cost of property, although that was entered the year before in setting it up as a rental property. Doesn't seem to be considering the profit though. Is there something wrong with TT or something I need to enter that isn't obvious to me?

Had an issue last year around the 50% allocation but it was a minor one. Help!

Thanks,

Adam

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sold rental property, own 50%, TT is allocating 100% to me and gross profit not net!

For the sale, you will have to do your own allocation (50%).

View solution in original post

2 Replies

For the sale, you will have to do your own allocation (50%).

Yes, I kind of figured that might be it. Would be nice if TT was consistent in doing allocation for everything or nothing instead of choosing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies