turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KaWidby
Returning Member

Self Employment tax and S corp

Do I pay self employment tax on the income from S Corp?  W filed a K-1 and form 1120S.   When we filed personal income taxes Turbotax said that the S Corp didn't owe SE Tax.  Do we calculate the Self Employment tax based on the taxable income?  I did not take a salary, but I did take an owners draw.  It is a single member LLC S corp.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Self Employment tax and S corp

Based on your question, I will presume you made the correct election to treat the LLC as a corporation and filed the necessary paperwork to elect to be an S Corporation for tax purposes.

If the above is correct, then no, the income reported on Sch K-1 from an S Corp is not subject to SE tax.  What you need to do is to pay a salary from the S Corp to you, and in that salary, FICA taxes (SS and Medicare) are withheld from the paycheck and the corporation pays its share as well.  There would also be withholding of Federal Income Taxes and State W/H if applicable.

For 2019, the S Corp should pay you a salary and Forms 941 should be filed timely.  See the link below for information regarding employment taxes.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/employment-taxes

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies