Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self employed sick leave credit & family leave credit

*Self employed sick leave credit

*Self employed family leave credit

wondering if these two credits can be claimed simultaneously due to one reason ----- children's school closure?

When filling in sick leave questions, it asks "how many days did you take off to provide care for someone else?", wondering if it includes the situation children's school closure?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No.

The FFCRA, passed in March 2020, allows eligible self-employed individuals who, due to COVID-19 are unable to work or telework for reasons relating to their own health or to care for a family member to claim refundable tax credits to offset their federal income tax. The credits are equal to either their qualified sick leave or family leave equivalent amount, depending on circumstances.

Form 7202

@ColeenD3 Thanks! The fact is kids' school were closed more than 2 months.

The maximum days (50days) can be used on the part of qualified family leave, wondering if the remaining days can be used on the part of family sick leave? 

the question on the part of family sick leave is ,"how many days did you take off to provide care for someone else?", wondering if it includes the situation of children's school closure?

I appreciate your help!

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Here is more from the Instructions for Form 7202 :

If a day meets the requirements for both the Credit for Sick Leave for Certain Self-Employed Individuals in Part I and the Credit for Family Leave for Certain Self-Employed Individuals in Part II, you can only count the day once. Don't include the same day for both credits.

Sick leave Line 2:

Line 2 Enter the number of days in the period from April 1, 2020, through December 31, 2020, that you were unable to perform services as a self-employed individual because of one or more of the following reasons.

• You were caring for an individual who was subject to a federal, state, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19.

• You were caring for an individual who was advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.

• You were caring for a son or daughter because the school or place of care for that child was closed or the childcare provider for that child was unavailable due to COVID-19 precautions.

Thanks!  It is impossible to count the days twice because the real closure days are more than the allowed  maximum claimed ones. 

I appreciate your great help!

Why does TT Self-employed not ask about this credit? I only found it because I was scrolling through the unusual tax breaks section? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies