Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self-employed Health Insurance deducted as a Partnership other expense TT Business? guaranteed payments to partners?

I saw something in Turbo tax BUSINESS (we have a partnership)  that said I need to enter a business expense (where do I do that for health care and LT care insurance). If I do that, do I also have to enter them in guaranteed payments paid to partners?  we pay the insurance premiums ourselves.  I was able to enter health insurance and LT care insurance premiums as adjustments to income (1040) when I entered my K-1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Self-employed Health Insurance deducted as a Partnership other expense TT Business? guaranteed payments to partners?

If the partnership pays the health and long-term care insurance on behalf of the partners, the expense is reported only as guaranteed payments on the partnership return.

To enter these payments in TurboTax Business:

1. Go to Federal Taxes >> Deductions >> Guaranteed Payments
  2. Complete the entry screen - insurance payments are the second box.
  3. If the payments should be allocated, click the "Allocate by Amount" button.
  4. The next screen will allow you to enter an amount for each partner for whom the insurance was paid.
  5. The allocated amount will be reported on Schedules K-1.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MS
Level 2

I have done this and on the k-1 it shows on line 4 and then again on line 13. Is this because line 4 is the income and line 13 would be for the deduction on the 1040. 

@MS you are correct.

These fringe benefits are taxable to the partner / member, and as a result, are reflected as guaranteed payments.

Then the partner / member get a deduction on their personal tax return.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
MS
Level 2

Thank you for the quick response. 
do you know on the k-1 if it shows on both lines 4 and 13?  If so how does this work with the marketplace deduction. 
do you then happen to know if a partnership agreement can be amended to include a clause to allow the guaranteed payments or does it have had to be in the original agreement? 
thanks again

MS
Level 2

Ye so am good with entering the guaranteed payments in the business program. It’s after that on the k-1 that I was checking on the entries by TurboTax, and then on the 1040 side of things. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies