Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SCorp net profit pass through question

Single member, cash basis, SCorp small business owner, help with a question if you have a moment please

Let's assume a gross income 220k. 90k of that is from a customer prepaying for a year of services back in August. Only 5 months of CoGS were able to be paid out towards those services. This resulted in a net profit of 70k overall pass through. There were no distributions.

Are there any options for amortizing revenue or retaining earnings? I may be thinking about this wrong but it feels like paying taxes on unrecognized profit doesn't seem right. Any ideas? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@bitsmythe wrote:

I may be thinking about this wrong but it feels like paying taxes on unrecognized profit......

It is not "unrecognized profit"; since the corporation is a cash basis taxpayer, income is recognized in the tax year in which it is received.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@bitsmythe wrote:

I may be thinking about this wrong but it feels like paying taxes on unrecognized profit......

It is not "unrecognized profit"; since the corporation is a cash basis taxpayer, income is recognized in the tax year in which it is received.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies