Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule K-1 (1041) from trust lacks Box 11 A,B totals

As bene on my late mom’s trust, I received a final Sch.K (form 1041) that lacked totals for sections 11A and B (requested by Turbo Tax). Instead, an attached Statement itemized amounts that don’t add up.

I hope the community can help me figure out what to upload into my 2023 disc version (TT Home/Business).

The attached Statement includes:

Box 11 – Excess Deductions on Termination

• Separate income/deduction amounts - I think these are items 1-22 of the 1041.
  • The total “excess deduction on termination” less bene percentage (50%), and “All excess deductions are applicable to the net investment income tax.”

Box 11(A) – Excess Deductions on Termination

• Amounts for fiduciary fees and attorney, accountant fees on termination - But No Total.
  • The amounts don’t add up to the excess deduction on termination amount in Box 11.

Box 11(B) – Excess Deductions on Terminations – Non-miscellaneous Itemized Deductions

• Amounts for taxes portion of excess deductions on termination, state and local taxes portion of taxes, non-investment property portion of taxes – But No Total

The total of Statement Box A and B does not equal the “excess deduction on termination” in Statement Box 11.

Should I:

• Upload the total in Statement Box 11 into Turbo Tax Box 11(A)?
  • Total the 3 tax amounts in Statement Box 11(B) and upload that amount to Turbo Tax Box 11(B).

Thank you for any advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You need to contact the trustee for clarification but note that you cannot "upload" the K-1 into TurboTax; you need to enter the information manually during the interview (the K-1 section of the program).

Also note that the delineated 11A deductions should add up to the total on Line 11 with an A code and, likewise, the delineated 11B deductions should add up to the total on Line 11 with a B code.

11A deductions are an adjustment to your income while 11B deductions are reported on Schedule A (if you itemize). Further note that miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor are not deductible at all. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You need to contact the trustee for clarification but note that you cannot "upload" the K-1 into TurboTax; you need to enter the information manually during the interview (the K-1 section of the program).

Also note that the delineated 11A deductions should add up to the total on Line 11 with an A code and, likewise, the delineated 11B deductions should add up to the total on Line 11 with a B code.

11A deductions are an adjustment to your income while 11B deductions are reported on Schedule A (if you itemize). Further note that miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor are not deductible at all. 

Thank you very much for this very clear advice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies