turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

javatax14

Sales Price of Trade In and Expense of Sale understanding

I have situation where I traded in 2 cars in on December 27, 2023 for another car. Both cars were not paid for both still had loan balances . Car one Trade in was $26,000  Principle Owed or payoff amount was $27,238

Car Two Car two Trade in 13, 355 Principle Owed or payoff $13,410.  Both cars were used for Business.

I assume I have to multiply Car one amount by Business use pct to get amount same with car two .

Right? Also on Expense of Sale what is included in this amount? Also Car one was upside down i.e. I owed more than what car was worth. Does this matter or fact a car is traded in and there is still a balance owed on it? I have additional questions and have phone call scheduled with Tax Expert. as this whole section is confusing.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Your expert will answer your questions, but note that you do not consider the payoff amount (amount of the loan) in the gain/loss calculation.

javatax14

If that's the case if car Trade in Value is 14,000 and payoff is $17,000 the $17,000 doesn't matter? so the gain is 14,000 

The loan amount is not considered in the gain/loss calculation. 

If you got $14,000 for it then that is actually the sales price.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies