Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

safe harbor for small business election

Using Turbotax Business 2021 and federal review says I need to attach SafeHarborSt for efiling.  It says to go to "efile menu" and select "attach pdf files".  The only attachment shown is the 8453-PE I created.  If I go to forms, both the De Minimus Safe Harbor and Safe Harbor Election for Small Taxpayers election forms are shown as part of my return.  How do I get this done so I can get the filing over with??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

You will have to print and mail your return with the statement.

One alternative (with no guarantee that the IRS will receive the statement) is to combine the 8453-PE with the statement and then attach (upload) that file to the return. This will at least allow the return to be e-filed.

Thanks for the quick response tagteam.  I did see inquiries on the subject for previous tax years but I thought the print only situation had been resolved by Turbotax since the review instructions indicate that it can be attached as a pdf and efiled.    Always something with them every year that needs a work around, sigh....

EmilyCC

I am in the same boat.  TurboTax Business 2021 tells you that for e-filing you must include the Rental Real Estate Enterprise Statement (Safe Harbor Statement) as a PDF attachment.  I assume this is because it must me signed.  Then there is no way to attach this PDF to the return for e-filing that I have found.  As you stated, the only PDF attachment allowed is the Form 8453-PE.  One would think that under the "Attachment" tab that there would be a way to add PDF attachments, not just view attachments. 

For 2020, TurboTax Business allowed the Rental Real Estate Safe Harbor Statement with the name printed, so there was no need for a PDF.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Before you can attach a form from TurboTax Business, you must first save it as a PDF to your local computer. Note that the safe harbor form name has changed, and the "E-file" menu is part of the File a Return section.

1. Go to Forms in the upper right section of the TurboTax header.
  2. Look for RREE Statement in the left column; click the form to open it in the main window.
  3. Click Print at the bottom of the form; it defaults to printing only the form you have open.
  4. Choose Save As PDF at the bottom.
  5. Saving to your desktop may be the best choice.
  6. Click Step-by-Step to go back to your return.

If you have the ability, print, sign, and scan the RREE Statement.

Now go to File >> File a Return and follow the prompts.

When you are asked to upload a PDF, navigate to the location where you saved the RREE Statement.

Proceed to e-file your business return.

Be sure you save a PDF copy of your entire return for your records. Occasionally, the IRS will request that you mail in a signed form even though it was attached to the e-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@PatriciaV wrote:

Before you can attach a form from TurboTax Business....

Unfortunately, you cannot attach the form alone.

The attachment procedure in TurboTax Business is basically designed to attach a Form 8453 variant.

The only way to attach another form (or statement) is to combine the 8453 with the other attachment in one file and then upload that file. As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, there is no guarantee that the IRS will even recognize (or receive) that attached form or statement.

I tried this method and thought all was good until the e-file refused to file because the "safe habor" form was not recognized.  I am in an endless loop of the system telling me there is an error and then it refuses to attach the Safe harbor separately from the approved signature form

I created multiple PDF versions with all forms, each form separately, just the required signature forms, etc. and nothing works because the Rental Real Estate Enterprize box is still marked with a red X, I cant change the red X to anything other than removing the X all together which is not correct.

Infuriating!

Tried this also and it does not allow the attachment to attach.  when Turbo ask you to do the final review it is not there and if you try to transmit, you can't complete the transmit. The system yet again defaults into the loop because the form is not attached to the Enterprize form. generated an error every time. I have been trying this for 2 weeks and since March 15th is just around the corner... I have checked on line for solutions, checked here repeatedly, has ANYONE actually been successful because theses suggestions do not work.

....it refuses to attach the Safe harbor separately from the approved signature form

Yes, the program does not support a separate attachment.

I created a multi-page PDF with the required signature forms and the signed Safe Harbor, Attached in Turbo Tax and the file will not transmit because the Turbo File is still "looking for the Safe Harbor" and required Real Estate Enterprise forms to be attached.  My last year with Turbo. There must be a better way to use my time than fight Turbo issues such as these. Mailing the return every year defeats the purpose of paying for the efile!!

PLRentals

This does not work. 

@PLRentals wrote:

This does not work. 

What works is printing and mailing the return at this point, 

Perhaps this issue will be rectified in a future release.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies