Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

s corp late election?

Hello.

I am filling out form 2553 to elect S-Corp treatment for my new LLC. 

My new LLC has an effective/incorporation date of 06/22/2023.  It is my understanding that for a newly formed corporation, the S-Corp election needs to be filed within 75 days.  

If that is correct, then it is my understanding that Part 1 section I of form 2553 can be left blank because it is not applicable to my case. 

And I can just send the form the appropriate address.  Any other tips? Should I fax or mail?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

s corp late election?

you are correct that the section can be left blank. I would fax it.  

s corp late election?

If you fax it, you better have some documentation that reflects the fax went through.

I would recommend you mail it certified mail return receipt requested.  This way someone at the IRS signs for it and you know it was actually received.

The taxpayer always has the initial burden of proof and mailing it as reflected above is inexpensive insurance.

Section 7502 of the statute and regulations discusses timely filing of documents and I would recommend you follow those procedures:

Section 7502 provides that, if the requirements of that section are met, a document or payment is deemed to be filed or paid on the date of the postmark stamped on the envelope or other appropriate wrapper (envelope) in which the document or payment was mailed. Thus, if the envelope that contains the document or payment has a timely postmark, the document or payment is considered timely filed or paid even if it is received after the last date, or the last day of the period, prescribed for filing the document or making the payment.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies