Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rideshare Mileage vs Actual Expenses

Odd question, can't say I've had this happen before. I've been driving rideshare on the weekends for 7 years, the first year I took standard mileage, every year since then I've let TT choose which is best.

This year however, it seems like TT isn't calculating things correctly, or I'm missing something. 

Vehicle 1, in 2023 my total miles driven for all uses 17,048, of that 3,740 was commuting to/from my regular job, Uber/Lyft , mileage is 9,889. My total vehicle expenses (gas, oil, tires, general repairs, etc., etc., etc.)  is $10, 220. According to TT, I got a larger deduction from the standard mileage than I do for the actual expenses, that seems off, or am I looking at it wrong?

Vehicle 2 in 2023 my total miles were 8745, of that 780 was commuting (it's my wife's car, she only drives 1.75 miles per day), U/L mileage is 5477, total actual expenses was $3701. On this vehicle, again it seems like TT is under calculating actual expenses for business use.

Based on age, 2015/2013, both vehicles are fully depreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You are looking at this wrong.

Your actual expenses are prorated across all of the mileage that you drive.  You are entitled to deduct the business use percentage of your actual expenses.  For a vehicle that is driven 100% of the time for business that is 100% of the expenses.

In the two instances that you mention that is 58% and 62.6%.  When you take that percentage of the actual expenses then the standard mileage rate is much better.

@egpowers 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

9889÷17048=58%, so the deduction would be $5,917.

9889 x 62.5 cents per mile is a deduction of $6,180. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies