Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcfish33

Reporting $0 earnings/expenses for LLC? (with a few caveats...)

I formed an LLC thinking I might use it for a small amount of income I received in 2023. I ultimately decided to simply bring in that income as a sole proprietor (through my own bank account, etc). It was only few thousand dollars that I reported as business income on schedule C, and it's almost all eaten up by expenses. I don't plan to remain in the field or do more work of this nature. Since I never used the LLC, I also plan to dissolve it this year (2024). 

However, I've read that all entities must file a federal tax return whether or not they have any income or expenses to report. How do I report income for my LLC? It's registered in my name, but the LLC company name is a creative title I chose for the industry I thought I'd be using it for. Does my LLC need a totally separate tax return with its own name, where I report $0 income and $0 expenses?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

sole proprietorship or single member LLC - same reporting use schedule C to report income and expenses.

mcfish33

thanks - so this applies even though they are separate entities? (one being me, an SSN taxpayer and one being my $0 earning LLC with its own EIN?)

Does this mean I don't need to a file a return for the LLC?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

YES.

They are not separate tax entities if you are a single member LLC.

It is possible for an S-Corp to also be an LLC in which case it would file separately. 

An LLC does not file its own tax form if it is a sole-proprietorship. You report everything on your Schedule C.

A Limited Liability Company (LLC) is set-up through the state. 

A LLC also needs to be a tax entity for federal taxes and that usually is a sole-proprietorship. Establishing an LLC through the state for your sole-proprietorship gives you some legal protections but does not change the way you file taxes. You can also name the sole-proprietorship/LLC and get a EIN number, but (in your case, as a single member LLC)  it always is filed on schedule C and is part of your individual tax return (1040).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies