Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rental property gift

I have a rental condo that gave it to my mom to live in. I don't collect rent but have to pay hoa, property taxes and all maintenance fees. Can I deduct these fees from my tax? Can I file it as a gift to my mom and deduct expenses? FYI, the total yearly fair rent is less than $15k. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

rental property gift

Your condo is not a rental condo if you let your mom live in it rent free. It is considered as a second home. Your can deduct property taxes paid. HOA and other expenses are not deductible.

I could be considered a gift to your mom, but gifts are not deductible, They are not taxable for your mom either.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

rental property gift

in whose name is the title?  your's or mom's.  if your's all you did was allow her to live there.  you still own it.

transferring title to mom or letting her live there rent-free is a gift and gifts of this nature are not deductible

if you still have title since you are not renting it at fair value most expenses are not deductible.   if the title is still in your name you can deduct on Schedule A, subject to the limitations, real estate taxes and mortgage interest (assuming you're still on the mortgage).  if the title was given to your mom.  you would have to file a gift tax return since the value would be over the annual exclusion. since you no longer own it you don't have rental real estate. Taxpayers who do not have legal title to a property may still claim a Schedule A deduction for real estate taxes and mortgage interest paid if they are the equitable owner of the property. An equitable owner is a person who has the economic benefits and burdens of ownership, based un the facts.  there have been numerous tax court cases dealing with whom is an equitable owner.  sometimes the taxpayer wins sometimes the IRS wins.  you may want to consult a tax lawyer since the decisions even vary by what tax court made the decision. 

rental property gift

Thanks. the property title is under my name and I do not have any loan on the property. So I can only claim the property tax on my schedule A. Right? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies