Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Registered Agent Address or Home Address for W-9

I hired a registered agent to set up my SMLLC and used their address on the state forms in order to keep my home address private.

Am I correct that I should not use the registered agent's address for a W-9? And instead use my home address?

The registered agent also filed my EIN for me, and I noticed that their address is on that form instead of mine. Was this a mistake on their part?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Am I correct that I should not use the registered agent's address for a W-9? 

Ask the agent.   They might allow it.

@ee-eaThanks for the reply. Do you mean if the registered agent is fine with their address listed on the W-9, then it won't be an issue for the IRS?

It seems problematic to not have my W-9 address match my EIN document.

I'm waiting to hear back from the Registered Agent who unfortunately is unreachable until Monday. I'm a little nervous because I've already used the EIN number and document to open a business bank account.

ee-ea
Level 15

@mmollly 

Do you mean if the registered agent is fine with their address listed on the W-9, then it won't be an issue for the IRS?

Yes, that is what  I mean.  The IRS uses snail mail to contact people.

Carl
Level 15

You might want to consider doing what I did when I set up my single member LLC 20 years ago. I went to UPS and rented a mailbox, which is something like $10 a month. I use that mailbox for "all" of my business correspondence.  It's also the registered mailing address of my business.

I noted on my forms when applying for LLC status in my state (FL) that I was asked for business address (my home) and mailing address (the PO box). All business correspondence goes to the PO box. For  my business cards, I use the PO box address too. The PO box is set up to receive mail addressed either to me by name, or my business name. Works a treat and I'm not having to provide my home address to anyone.

Is there any chance that I would have potential issues with the TIN matching services used by my payers if the address on the W-9 and EIN form don't match? Or is that just concerned to with confirming name and TIN number?

Carl
Level 15

IRS Form W-9 is *NOT* sent to the IRS. It is provided by you, to the person or entity that has a legal requirement for the information and requested your SSN/EIN. The address you provide on the W-9 is what the entity/person will use for mailing any tax documents to, such as a 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC, 1099-R or any other tax reporting document they are required to provide you.

@CarlThat makes sense. Thanks so much for explaining. 

I checked with my registered agent and they are fine with using their address on the EIN document, so I will leave that be. I'll continue using my home address on W9s and all other tax forms. Thanks all for your help!

swilli88

And what about the beneficial ownership reporting information? What address do you put for reporting company? my reg agent doesn't seem to allow their address be the BOI reporting company address but does allow it as a business address for EIN banks accounts etc. Doesnt help that I'm not USA based, I'm UK

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies