Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am entering expenses and setting up for a new truck driving business. Where do I enter a truck and trailer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichaelMc

I am entering expenses and setting up for a new truck driving business. Where do I enter a truck and trailer?

The tractor and trailer, by IRS rule, have a 3 - 5 year useful life. As you are starting a new business and it will take time for income to increase, you will want to depreciate it over 5 years.

Entering your information in TurboTax, treat it as a business asset, so the depreciation calculations are activated. You may select the appropriate options for special depreciation or Sec. 179, but I would suggest that you do not speed up depreciation, to keep your expenses in line with your income.

Create separate assets for the tractor and the trailer. You are presented with four asset-type choices, none of which appear to describe your tractor, but select "trailers," which will set the appropriate 5 year useful life. The default in TurboTax is set to the 200DB depreciation method, with a mid-quarter convention, which is perfect for your circumstances. This will leave most of the value to be depreciated in the following years, when you will be using the tractor to create more income.

Which asset types in Turbo Tax can be used for a Food Truck trailer.  The trailer is hitched to the truck which I treated as a vehicle.

The vehicle is entered in the VEHICLE section and the trailer in the ASSETS section. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies