turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taking a loss on S Corp in Schedule K1

Is there any regulation on taking losses on S Corp after you subtract you expenses from the income?

I took loss in the 2nd year of business but wanted to make sure if it is OK to take loss in another year ?

My S Corp was profitable in last  5 years consecutive years but I took a hit last year.

Turbo Tax for business is showing a negative amount in box 1 of Schedule K1 which I need to transfer to my personal tax on Turbo tax permier. 

In case of taking losses are you supposed to close the company ?

Thanks

Kevin

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@kevin_ny_2003 wrote:

No, it is not unusual for a business entity to incur a net loss periodically (or even somewhat regularly) and you do not have to close the company as a result of a net loss incurred over one tax year.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@kevin_ny_2003 wrote:

No, it is not unusual for a business entity to incur a net loss periodically (or even somewhat regularly) and you do not have to close the company as a result of a net loss incurred over one tax year.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The only restriction on deducting losses is that your loss deduction for your S Corp can't exceed your basis in the S Corp.  Basis is the "net" money you have in the S Corp, for example "your original investment plus any additional investment you put in since then plus money you loaned the S Corp plus net income earned by the S Corp minus net losses minus distributions to you from the S Corp".  That example is a bit simplistic; see this IRS website for more information on S Corp basis.  And, you can get a lot of details if you click the "Learn More" link on the box 1 screen for your K-1 entries:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies