Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NOL carryover and S-corp election

if I have a business NOL for 2020 is it possible for me to carryover that 2020 NOL to 2021 and then use the NOL to reduce my personal income tax liability if I file a form 2523 with the IRS to treat my C-corp as an S-corp? Or is this not allowed at all?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

since 2020 isn't over yet, is this really the year of the NOL  if so you make an election on the 2020 return to forgo the NOL carryback period so the NOL can be carried forward to 2021.  As long as the corp remains a C-Corp the NOL can be used. You talk about a C-Corp. electing S-Corp status. this throws a monkey wrench in your planning. The C-Corp NOL can't be used while the Corp is being taxed as an S-Corp. there can be other  consequences of converting - consult a tax pro 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

form 2553......too late to make an s corp election that would go into effect for 2020.

Anonymous
Not applicable

since 2020 isn't over yet, is this really the year of the NOL  if so you make an election on the 2020 return to forgo the NOL carryback period so the NOL can be carried forward to 2021.  As long as the corp remains a C-Corp the NOL can be used. You talk about a C-Corp. electing S-Corp status. this throws a monkey wrench in your planning. The C-Corp NOL can't be used while the Corp is being taxed as an S-Corp. there can be other  consequences of converting - consult a tax pro 

janetc315

I know that if the C-Corp had an NOL of $(88,000) when it converted to an S-Corp, the NOL can no longer be carried forward. What happens if 3 years later...the S-Corp decides to Revoke its S-Corp Status, can the NOL that originally existed be reinstated an used by the C-Corp? 

M-MTax
Level 10

You started a new thread about this. Take a look at that one too. Pretty sure it's lost forever though.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies