Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cannot file my taxes because it says, "Box 20-1 must be entered." On my W-2 Box 20 is left blank.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I cannot file my taxes because it says, "Box 20-1 must be entered." On my W-2 Box 20 is left blank.

Box 20 only needs to be entered if there is an amount in box 19.  If there is no amount in box 19 on your W-2, clear out all entries in boxes 18-20 and leave them all blank (do not enter 0).  You will be able to e-file if these are all blank.  In the 'Associated state' box, leave it as 'Select a State'. 

If there is an amount in box 19, you will need to find out from your employer what to put in box 20.  

Hi,
I'm running into this case too.  My box 19 is blank.  Still, I can't file because the software asks for something in box 20-1.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Delete everything in boxes 18-20.  If you leave them all blank, you can e-file.

Hi,
Box 18 from the W2 isn't blank.  What can I do?

Thanks,

I have an amount shown in box 18 of my W2 but nothing in box 19 or 20 as their are no local taxes.  Turbotax still wants box 20 filled out.  Would I manually delete the dollar figure from box 18 even though the W2 supplied to the IRS from the employer does show an amount?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Since there are local wages reported in Box 18, turbo Tax needs to know who your local taxing agency  that this wage was reported to. You probably know this information and if you do, just put the name of it in Box 20. if you aren't sure what it is, you may need to ask your employer.

@lemmharris1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There are no local taxes so would I just delete box 18 or type in the city although there are no local taxes collected or due?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Yes, if there are no Local or City Wages on your W-2 in Box 18 (or Local Tax in Box 19), don't enter anything after Box 17.

If there are Local Wages reported in Box 18  (but no Local Tax in Box 19), you may need to file a Local Tax Return.

Click this link for States/Cities that Require Local Tax Returns.

@lemmharris1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies