turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marbb
Returning Member

Do I submit 1040-X for late 1099-misc that results in no tax change to refund or payment?

I received a 1099-misc in June 2019 for 2018 taxes which were already submitted. I had paid expenses to this business that went against what they show as income resulting in a loss to income, not more income than I had reported originally. There will be no change to taxes paid or refunded. Do I still need to submit a 1040-X? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do I submit 1040-X for late 1099-misc that results in no tax change to refund or payment?

Yes, you have to file a Form 1040X amended return because the IRS does not know about your expenses. They see only the additional unreported income on the 1099-MISC.

You are required to keep your own records of your self-employment income and expenses, and report all of the income and expenses on your tax return, whether or not you get a 1099-MISC. In the future, if you report all your income on your original tax return, based on your own records, it won't matter if a 1099-MISC is sent late, because you will have already reported the income (and associated expenses, if any).

marbb
Returning Member

Thanks for the quick response. I did include this income and expenses on my original return but didn't list the income as a 1099-misc as I hadn't received it. I was surprised that they sent the 1099 since I paid them more than they paid back to me by a few dollars so it really wasn't income at all. So now I guess I will just have to explain this on my amended return. Thanks again

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies