Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about taxes when starting a small business

I would like to start an online business where I provide various services to people. Most of my service providers are freelancers who work on another platform. So I would have to get the service a client needs, then pay the freelancer and keep the remaining profit. What kind of tax would i file at the end of the year, since half the profit is an expense and a little goes to me as profit.

Also what kind of tax do I charge my client when they make transactions since I am an online business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Question about taxes when starting a small business

Your state taxing authority can tell you more about the state and local taxes you would need to collect.  As far as income taxes go, how you file depends on what kind of business entity you are starting.  If you are a sole-proprietor, you can use TurboTax Self-Employed (online) or Home and Business (desktop) to file your business tax return (Schedule C) with your annual personal tax return (Form 1040).   You report your total income, deduct your expenses and pay income tax and Self-Employment tax on the remaining profit.   Here are some articles that cover self-employment in more detail.  

How does starting a business affect my taxes?  

Beginner's Tax Guide for the Self-Employed

Starting a Business

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies