Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about RSUs in TT Home and Business 2023 Windows

Question about RSUs in TT Home and Business 2023 Windows.

It looks like 2023 is very different from 2022 TT, and 2023 doesn't collect the info or report things the same way.

I've entered all my RSU entries from my 1099-B in TT 2023 and set the cost basis as I understand to be correct. And yes, I've set the "investment type" for the entry to "Restricted stock unit" in the drop-down.

Question 1

TT 2022 had fields named exactly as follows to set the "Total Shares Vested/Released" and "Shares Withheld (Traded) to Pay Taxes". TT 2023 does not have those fields, so there is no way to enter that info. So, how does one add entries to set, say 175 for "Total Shares Vested/Released" and 63 "Shares Withheld (Traded) to Pay Taxes"?

Question 1

Also, when I generated the PDF with "all forms" in TT 2022, it showed all my RSUs (and ESPPs) in a section named "Summary of Compensation Income From Employee Stock Transactions" in the PDF. In TT 2023, that same section in the PDF only shows ESPPs, and none of my RSU entries, even though my RSUs were all entered. Why does TT 2023 not show my RSUs anymore in that section, like it did in previous years' versions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Question about RSUs in TT Home and Business 2023 Windows

The information you mention in question one regarding shares withheld to pay taxes and the such were only used by TurboTax to determine the correct cost basis to report on the Form 1099-B entry. If you reported that correctly, you don't need to be concerned about those questions. To determine the correct cost basis for shares sold, you would take the discount reported in box 1 of your W-2 form and divide it by the number of shares acquired to determine the discount per share. You would then multiply that by the number of shares sold to determine the discount element to be included in the cost basis as reported on the Form 1099-B. If you didn't pay anything for the shares, as is typical, then the cost basis would be the discount per share multiplied by the number of shares sold.

I couldn't find a summary of compensation income like you mention in TurboTax. There is a screen that summarizes your investment sales and shows the components of the sales such as Type of sale, proceeds, cost basis, adjustment and gain or loss. You see it when you are done entering your investment sales:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies