Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paying Employment taxes and use of EIN when Aide paid from First Party Special Needs Trust

I am my disabled son's Legal Guardian and Trustee of his First Party (self-settled) Special Needs Trust. We live in Washington State. I have hired an aide for him and will be paying the aide from his Special Needs Trust. The Trust has an EIN. The SS-4 application for the EIN stated that he is the "responsible party" and I am the Trustee.

The State of Washington had me set up a business as a sole proprietorship, using my name, so that I could pay the Aide. The WA Employment Security Dept. asked me for an EIN, and I provided the Trust's EIN since I will be paying him from the Trust. However, my own name is the "business name." Is this going to cause problems down the line when I, as the employer, pay federal employment taxes? And would I include Schedule H on his 1040 return? Or the trust's 1041? Should I have set up the business as a Trust instead of a Sole Proprietorship? The state had me set up a "business" only so I could get a UBI number. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Paying Employment taxes and use of EIN when Aide paid from First Party Special Needs Trust

Yes, I can see why the State of Washington had you set this up as a separate business. This was done solely to obtain a UBI number that is only unique to the State of Washington.  

Since you are paying from a trust rather than your own personal account, you would need to include a Schedule H from your trust account. Turbo Tax Business for a 1041Trust Account has the ability to generate a W2 from the program to issue to your household employee. The bad news is that Schedule H is not supported in Turbo Tax Business, even though it is permitted to by the IRS, thus the form would need to be filled out, printed, and mailed to the IRS along with the 1041 return. It can not be filed electronically. Mailing instructions are provided with your 1041 return once prepared.

Here is a pdf copy of this form and the instructions stating it can be attached to  Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040-NR, 1040-SS, or 1041

If you submit payroll taxes to the State of Washington in your own name with the Trust EIN, this shouldn't be an issue but I would submit a name change changing it to the Trust name to avoid any future confusion.

Your son will not report a Schedule H in his own personal tax return.  This will be filed strictly within the trust 1041 return. Also, you won't need to file a separate 1040 business return since you only established it to satisfy a State of Washington requirement.

I would submit a name change to the State of Washington to change the name of the sole proprietorship to the trust name rather than your own personal name to avoid any confusion. Additionally, you may wish to submit a name change to the IRS in accordance with these instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much!  I do have a follow-up question:

Because this is a Grantor-type trust (a first-party Special Needs Trust), the income is taxable to the grantor under sections 671-678 of the IRC (see www.specialneedsalliance.org).  Therefore, I actually file an informational 1041 along with a Grantor Trust Information Letter, instead of a full-blown 1041.  All income, deductions and credits are reported on the personal income tax return of the beneficiary (my son). Should the Schedule H, therefore, be included with the informational 1041, even though I am only filing an informational 1041?  Or, in this case, should I attach it to my son's 1040?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It should still be on the 1041 because the trust's EIN is on the payroll forms that you filed and the trust is who is paying the payroll taxes (which is what schedule H is for).  If you already paid all of your payroll taxes then the schedule H is informational anyway.  If you have not paid your payroll taxes then you will submit them with the 1041.

The cost of the household employee can be claimed as a medical deduction on your son's tax return as well.  

@turboNancy2 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

THANK YOU so very much!  I have been struggling with these questions for many weeks, trying to find a local tax professional who could answer them, but couldn't find anyone with the right experience (I was lucky if they even called me back).  So I'm glad I finally found experts to help me.  🙂  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies