Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Partnership k-1

we received a K-1 that has a nonrecourse loan on Part II letter K of the k-1. How do I get this into turbo tax. This liability is not on the entities books, so the smart sheet liability section errors if I hard code it there.

Also if the capital accounts are negative shouldn't the ownership % be 0? Turbo tax errors out when I put zero for the % because it does not equal 100%

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Partnership k-1

we received a K-1 that has a nonrecourse loan on Part II letter K of the k-1. How do I get this into turbo tax. This liability is not on the entities books, so the smart sheet liability section errors if I hard code it there.

are you saying the NRL is not on the partnership books but on the K-1? something is terribly wrong somewhere. if it's not on the books of the entity I don't see how it could possibly pop up on the k-1. numbers have to come from somewhere.   

In TurboTax, you can fill out the liability section in Part II of the k-1, but you are wasting your time because Turbotax doesn't use it for anything. It does not compute tax basis which is critical.   you have a negative capital account. Generally your share of the NRL would be added back to see if you have a positive tax basis, but if it doesn't exist there are tax consequences. . distributions during the year could become taxable. Losses may not be deductible due to at-risk limitations. This issue needs to be pursued because it significantly affects proper report for your income taxes. 

Also if the capital accounts are negative shouldn't the ownership % be 0? Turbo tax errors out when I put zero for the % because it does not equal 100%

Nope. every partner owns a share of the partnership. 0 for everyone would indicate that none of the partners own any share of the partnership. The ownership %'s should have been established in the partnership agreement and that doesn't change unless something happens. 

Partnership k-1

The NRL was on the K-1 we received for our investment in another business. 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Partnership k-1

As Mike9241 explained, liabilities on Schedule K-1 are not reported on your tax return. These amounts do influence your capital balance (adjusted basis), which should never go below zero. You may wish to contact the entity that prepared the K-1 to discuss this further, in case you should have allocated income to bring your balance up to zero.

Capital balance reconciliation is complicated and can become an issue for your tax situation. We recommend you contact a tax professional with experience in partnerships for advice how to proceed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies