Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New business expense deductions

I know this question may be similar to others, but wanted to ask for my specific situation. I am starting a business that has 2022 expenses for software development. Since the development is still in progress, I haven't actively started marketing product, and so no income from that business in 2022. I do have income from other sources.

Is it legitimate to deduct the expenses before actively engaging in commerce of a finished product to offset other 2022 income sources?

If I enter the full total of expenses in TurboTax, will any unused portion of those expenses (not needed to further reduce my 2022 taxes) be available to forward to following years? Or would it be best to only enter the dollar value of expenses needed to maximize my deductions in 2022? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You need to be accumulating your start-up costs (even if it crosses a year) that you can begin amortizing and deducting once you "open the doors" and have a product to sell.  You cannot deduct business expenses before you are actually open and ready to serve customers.

See Start-Up Costs for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, Alicia. I don't know if you're connected with Turbotax or knowledgeable about the home & business software, but do you know if it's best then not to enter the 2022 business expenses at all in this return and identify the expenses as carryovers in my 2023 return when the business will be active? Or is it best not to even reference this business at all in my returns until the there is a finished product to sell?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You are not allowed to enter the expenses for 2022 unless you were ready to "sell" to customers before 12/31/22.  The Start-Up Costs will be a capital asset you amortize once you are "open" and operating.  You should not reference the business on your 2022 taxes since it was not "open" in 2022.

@nhurwitz   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies