Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MA Mom

My collect student earned $10,800 in 2023. The MA State return shows they owe taxes. Is this correct? I expected them to be exempt.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
maglib
Level 11

My collect student earned $10,800 in 2023. The MA State return shows they owe taxes. Is this correct? I expected them to be exempt.

@MA Mom   does your son live in MA or a non-resident? Is he still your legal dependent?

The MA single exemption is only $4,400 in 2023 plus if he can claim himself and additional $1,000 plus either you or him can claim the tuition deduction

College Tuition Deduction (Non-residents and part year residents are ineligible for the college tuition deduction)

Massachusetts allows a deduction for tuition payments paid by taxpayers for themselves, and their dependents who attend a qualifying two or four-year college leading to an undergraduate or associates degree, diploma, or certificate. To qualify as a dependent for purposes of this deduction, the individual must be a “dependent” as defined by Internal Revenue Code (“Code”) § 151(c) as in effect on January 1, 2022.

The deduction is equal to the amount by which the tuition payments, less any scholarships, grants, or financial aid received, exceed 25% of the taxpayer's Massachusetts adjusted gross income

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
MA Mom

Thank you.

Yes, she lives with us in MA when not on campus.

We claim her as a dependent - she cannot support 1/2 of her living expenses, which means she cannot claim the Tuition deduction.  In the past we got that deduction, but got a pay raise (yay!) which effectively just netted to nothing because TT is now saying we are not able to claim the Tuition expense deduction. :(

Seems we're stuck with her owing State taxes, and no one being able to claim the tuition deduction.

Is there anything I'm missing?

maglib
Level 11

@MA Mom   while you can claim her, you are not required to if there is no benefit.   She can then do the interview saying she can be claimed by someone else but, was not.

If you get no benefits of education credits, there is no reason she can not claim education expenses from the 1098-t and She can get the nonrefundable portion only of the Federal tuition credits.  I'm not sure on MA..

Try it both ways.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
DawnC
Expert Alumni

She can claim the tuition deduction.  The MA tuition deduction differs from the federal education credits; the dependent can claim the deduction in MA since she was a full year resident.   Temporary absences (for school, work, military, or medical care) count as time lived at home.  

Massachusetts allows a deduction for undergraduate tuition if the total paid exceeds 25% of the taxpayer's Massachusetts adjusted gross income. Qualified expenses include only those expenses designated as tuition or mandatory fees required for enrollment at an eligible educational institution.

The deduction is equal to the amount by which the tuition payments, less any grants, scholarships, and financial aid received, exceed 25% of the Massachusetts AGI.

For more information, go to the Massachusetts Resident Income Tax Form 1 Instructions, page 21.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
TomD8
Level 15

@MA Mom --

To answer your original question: MA residents are required to file an MA tax return if their gross income from all sources exceeds $8,000.  There is no exemption for students.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies