Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msd7011
Returning Member

Multistate K1

First year doing the K1 for Federal - two different returns for two different LLC - Turbo Tax allowed me to file these without any issues - on to State which I want to confirm:

1st LLC setup in North Carolina - one member NC other member IN 

Completed the NC K1, it was a loss as it's first year STR.

Do I need to do an IN K1 for the other member as non resident loss for pass through or do they just claim it on their IN state as nonresident loss from K1?

Second LLC same except 1 member in VA 100% of P&L to that member - incorporated in VA, but the property earned income in NC - registered as foreign entity in State of NC - K1 done for NC state - do I need to do the K1 for VA as no other income other than the NC property STR claimed and submitted on NC K1.  Member should report income as K1 from another state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Multistate K1

For the first LLC you'll issue a NC K-1 to all the partners regardless of whether they reside in NC.  It will be up to any of those partners whether they need to file a NC return in order to claim their loss or - in future years - are required to file a NC return because of their gain.  You IN partner will pay taxes or claim losses from his federal K-1 on his IN return.

For the second LLC you will need to file a return for the LLC in NC and then in Virginia as well.  File the NC return first and issue all partners NC K-1's.  Then file the Virginia return and issue Virginia K-1's to all partners from that.  Based on the amounts on those K-1s each partner will have to decide if they have any filing requirements for those states.

@msd7011 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies