Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moving and wanting to have a home office in both locations , do I need to manually add the 2nd 8829 for the new home office?

Step by step is not allowing me to use 2 business locations at 100% for both even though I put in a stop date for the original home office.  Do I need to manually add the second 8829 form ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Moving and wanting to have a home office in both locations , do I need to manually add the 2nd 8829 for the new home office?

You need to split your home office percentage between the two locations. TurboTax won't let you report 100% for both locations because you didn't use both locations all year. The date you stopped using one location doesn't factor into the business use percentage test. Split the percentage based on the number of months you lived in each home.

Example: If you moved on July 1, you would report 50% for location one (6/12) and 50% for location two.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed your recommendation however I am still getting the error that IYou have selected the simplified method for multiple home offices. The Simplified method can only be used for one of these home offices.  You should deselect all but one "Simplified Method." choices and ensure that you have entered an actual expense for each office.  How can this error be over-written ? 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, you can't use the Simplified Method for more than one home office. Either chose simplified for only one home office or enter actual expenses for both. 

• You may choose to use either the simplified method or the regular method for any taxable year.
  • You choose a method by using that method on your timely filed, original federal income tax return for the taxable year.
  • Once you have chosen a method for a taxable year, you cannot later change to the other method for that same year.
  • If you use the simplified method for one year and use the regular method for any subsequent year, you must calculate the depreciation deduction for the subsequent year using the appropriate optional depreciation table. This is true regardless of whether you used an optional depreciation table for the first year the property was used in business.

More information on both methods can be found in Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home (Including Use by Daycare Providers). Full details on the Simplified Method can be found in Revenue Procedure 2013-13.

@Retired712020

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies