Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MLP QBI, Item 20Z and Turbotax

Hi, all.

I’m wondering something about QBI income for PTPs.  I’ve noticed that the QBI amount shown in item 20Z on some of my K-1s doesn’t always equal the total PTP income (ordinary business income, net rental income, other income, 1231 income, etc.).  I don’t entirely understand this.  Specifically, Turbotax asks for these items below.

QBI screen.PNG

I don’t usually get a Statement A, so I’ve been just entering the numbers shown on the regular K-1 for these items.  But when these don’t total to the 20Z amount, should I be doing this?  If not, what should I enter on this screen, absent any other breakdown of what constitutes the 20Z amount?

For example, in one MLP I own, I have just $50 of Section 199A PTP Income, but $447 in ordinary business income and $217 in 1231 gain.  I don’t know what accounts for the discrepancy.  Would entering $447 and $217 in the fields above be incorrect?

Thanks for any help, especially @nexchap and @Mike9241.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

@Rick19744 perhaps in addition to @nexchap and @Mike9241 

I can't see the full k-1 and any supplemental schedule for line 20.  what I would do is use the k-1 numbers exactly as presented.  after entering line 20Z later on in the app it will ask for the qbi info, I would use what's on 20Z even though it is not the same as the ordinary income and 1231 gain.  read the cover letter with the K-1. maybe there's an explanation or call the number on this website for a possible explanation

https://www.taxpackagesupport.com/plainsallamerican 

MLP K-1's are complicated and without being able to read all of the details that are typically provided along with the K-1, it is hard to respond to your specific question.

Section 1231 gain, in general, is taxpayer favorable and treated as capital gain.  As a result, is not included in QBI.  However, if there is Section 1231 recapture as a result of prior Section 1231 losses, then the Section 1231 gain, which is generally capital gain, is recharacterized as ordinary income and is included in QBI.

As a result, I concur with @Mike9241 and just input based on what you have even though you can't reconcile any difference.  You just need to rely on the premise that the preparer of the K-1 understood the complexities and what is presented is correct.  These K-1's are typically prepared by top accounting firms that know what they are doing; although they do get amended from time to time.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies