turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LLC change from multi-member to sole proprietor - how to do this and when is it effective.

I opened a multimember LLC with my wife and myself as the only members in 2018. We filed taxes for 2018 as a multimember LLC, so Form 1065 and then reported it on our personal taxes. 

I am having an EA file my taxes this year (2019), both biz and personal. She said we should change to a sole proprietor and file taxes that way because they are much more simple. I am perfectly good with this but I'm not sure how to do it. The EA said we just need to file taxes as if we are Sole Proprietor and then write a letter the the IRS telling them of this change and that it was effective for the 2019 tax year. Is this correct?

I'm worried I will get fined because they didn't receive the Multi member LLC taxes by March 15th - due to the fact that we will submit taxes as if it were a Sole Prop.

Do I need to fill out Form 8832? Is it retro active for the previous year so that I could file taxes as a Sole Prop I stead of a multi member LLC?

@DianeC958 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

LLC change from multi-member to sole proprietor - how to do this and when is it effective.

The state does not change anything with respect to your federal filing and you do not lose any protection the LLC provides since that is a matter of state law.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

The EA is correct about filing as a sole proprietor. 

Because you filed a Form 1065 for 2018, it would be best to file a Form 8832 to make sure that your choice is processed by the IRS. In Part I, line 6, you can select option c, A domestic eligible entity with a single owner electing to be disregarded as a separate entity. 

In your letter, it would be best to point out that you didn't realize that an LLC owned by spouses is allowed to file a as sole proprietorship. 

Click here for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You do not need to file Form 8832 and the filing is not somehow retroactive (you are filing a final 1065 for a particular tax year, most likely calendar year 2018).

You might want to read the recommended post in the thread at the link below as it contains comprehensive information on this issue (although it involves a buyout scenario).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/re-purchased-partner-s-50-ownership-of-a...

I should have mentioned that we live in Minnesota and our LLC was formed in Minnesota, which is not a community property state. Does this change anything?

Also, being that we are an LLC, if we do file as a sole proprietor do we lose the protection of being an LLC? 

The state does not change anything with respect to your federal filing and you do not lose any protection the LLC provides since that is a matter of state law.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies