Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

et7724

LLC bought real estate

Hello,

I own an LLC and bought a commercial property that sat abandoned for several years (I put the property in the LLC's name). Can I deduct any of the expenses I incurred to bring the property back into a useful state? (Overgrown vegetation removal, trash removal, paint building, re-gravel, utility meter replacement, etc). From reading IRS publications it appears that all these expenses fall under restoration, but most of my expenses were actually areas outside of the building.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

LLC bought real estate

Yes, your commercial property includes the land around it. Because the property was not available to be rented, any costs for repairs or improvements that you incurred increase the basis of the property and should be entered as a separate Rental Asset (improvements). These costs would not be deductible expenses for this property.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
et7724

LLC bought real estate

Thanks for the reply, 

I'm actually using the property for my business, not renting it out (not sure if that makes a difference). 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

LLC bought real estate

No, that doesn't change the treatment for the expenses you incurred to remediate the property. The total cost should be a new business asset for depreciation, either Land Improvements or Nonresidential real estate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies