Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kentucky 740 Schedule M not being created and populated with exempt interest income - bug

This is an FYI for other doing Kentucky State with exempt interest income, and hopefully could help fix the bug...

Using 2022 TurboTax Premier, I got the prompt on Federal interview to indicated expect interest income, per the old post here -   https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/how-to-add-exempt-interest-on-kentucky-s...

No problem with that.

However, when I completed the Kentucky interview, Schedule M for Federal AGI Modifications had not been created.  Thus the Sched M line 1 for "Enter Interest income from bonds issued by other states and their political subdivisions" was never populated and added back into my income for Kentucky. 

If I had filed my KY State return without manually finding and completing Schedule M, I would have paid about $200 less than I actually owed, possibly triggering an audit!

Note that I have also created a return for my daughter who had income in a couple other states BEFORE I started my state interview... Could it be that the additional States being noted by TT messed up the program's Kentucky logic for my return? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Kentucky 740 Schedule M not being created and populated with exempt interest income - bug

AH - I see the issue.  In the past I think the interview item was framed differently!

Currently it asks "Which state are you <shows total amount> of exempt interest-dividends from?

I had answered Kentucky.  That is wrong because not ALL of the total is from Kentucky!  I guess I interpreted it initially to to the effect of "what state doesn't tax the total".

The CORRECT selection in my case should have been "More than one state"  I think this would have created the KY 740 schedule M.

ARGH!  After correcting the selection it didn't prompt for a state and the portion of total for that state.

I had to then go manually into the Schedule B 1099-DIV form/worksheet associated with the activity, and find the "Tax-Exempt Interest Dividends State Allocation", and allot a portion to KY and the rest to XX (for all other states)!

THEN it showed up properly in KY 740 Sch M

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies