Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K1 Form 1065 Box 20 with ZZ problem

Hi folks:

My K1 is from a partnership LLC, and in Box 20, there is a code ZZ and the amount box is "STMT".

In the statement referring to Box 20 ZZ is this chart

Analysis of At Risk vs Not at Risk Liabilities

At Risk        Not at Risk

0                  44730         Nonrecourse

0                  0                  Qualified Nonrecourse

0                  0                 Recourse

What amount do I enter in Turbotax Box 20, code ZZ which needs a numerical amount?

Thanks for any advice

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I'm going to page @Mike9241 for this. Please check back later.

nowhere in Turbotax. It does not use this info for anything.   there are two basic computations that need be made to determine if losses are allowed and/or whether or not distributions are taxable. (Once these are done then there can be another computation which Turbotax does do if the loss is passive to determine how much can actually be deducted on your 1040). It does not calculate if distributions are taxable. 

the two basic computations are tax basis and at-risk (IRC 465). Turbotax does neither (but there is form 6198 for at-risk). These are DIY projects. Some partnerships provide the partner with these calculations.

an example you make a capital contribution of $50 to a partnership. before anything else you have $50 of tax basis and $50 is at-risk. But now say your brother, also a partner, guarantees you that he'll reimburse you if you lose more than $20.  Under the tax laws your basis is still $50 but your at-risk is now only $20 so the maximum that would be allowed as a potential deduction is $20.

The code and regulations for determining tax basis and at-risk can be complex. 

even schedule L on your K-1 might not reflect your true tax basis.    for example, not reflected in schedule L is qualified nonrecourse financing. this adds to both tax basis and at-risk in a partnership.

technically you're not at-risk for (QNF) but the tax laws say you can count it.

here's a thread that goes into more detail of calculating tax basis and at-risk and how they can differ in their tax effect of losses and distributions.

https://www.dbbllc.com/newsletters/focus-our-tax-e-newsletter/partnership-tax-rules-basis-partnershi... 

Thanks so much for your reply.  Seems like I will need an accountant as the link is helpful to pointing out how complex this is.

Thanks again

Henry

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies