Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 part 111 not functioning correctly

With  Activity box for rental checked and no entry for line 1 ordinary income, when I uncheck material participation, taxes due climbs by thousands.

I understand what should be happening for material participation for line 2, but not when checking and unchecking a zero amount on line 1 when "activity" should not be linking to line 1 anyway.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you have no ordinary business income on Line 1 of Schedule K-1, do not check any boxes under that line. For Rental Income, check only the boxes under Line 2. Also, do not enter a zero on any income line.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

To better phrase my problem. We do qualify as real Estate Professionals with an LLC for our rental units. I have not been able to get TT H& B to not treat the current loss as passive income, which limits the loss to 25K. I can do it by the previously described hack method. I am coming to the conclusion that TT has no method of  processing Real Estate Professional rental losses. Not within E nor within K-1s. The K-1 does not have a drop down for R.E.P.s where the Active and Passive dropdowns are shown on the K-1.

I would expect the required statement could be attached as a scanned attachment were there a way to get TT to correctly treat the loss as an active loss.

Schedule E page 2 line 43 should Report all rental loss for a Real Estate Professional as fully deductible. It does not.

Schedule K-1 continues to incorrectly treat REP loss. K-1 will not carry over to pg 2 of Sched E.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies