Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 Not saving and Div moved to investment div

I have a simple trust that distributes all income to beneficiaries. I am trustee and sole beneficiary. So I send myself a K-1 with the trust 1041 return.  I enter the K-1 info as income in TT home and biz. But it doesn't save and it just shows zero.  But the ordinary div I enter as from the K-1 instead shows up added to the ordinary dividends in the investments section.   I suppose the tax effect is the same but won't it create a problem if the trust return shows a K-1 issued to my ssn but my personal return does not show a K-1 on the sched B nor is there a Form E generated? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

K-1 Not saving and Div moved to investment div

you have a grantor trust. there are 3 methods of reporting

A grantor trust can indeed file a Schedule K-1 for the sole beneficiary who also serves as the trustee. Let me provide some details:

1. Grantor Trusts:

• A grantor trust is a trust where at least one provision of IRC §§ 671–679 applies.
    • The grantor (person who established the trust) is required to include all items of the trust’s income, deductions, and credits on their personal income tax return.
    • If a beneficiary is deemed the grantor for income tax purposes (e.g., under IRC § 678), that beneficiary must similarly report the items taxed to the trust on their personal income tax return.
  2. Reporting Requirements:

• Form 1041: Grantor trusts are subject to the same reporting requirements as non-grantor trusts.
      • If the trust has taxable income, gross income of $600 or more, or one or more nonresident beneficiaries, it must file an income tax return using Form 1041 within three and a half months of the end of its taxable year.
      • However, if the trust is a wholly owned grantor trust, it may use a simplified reporting method. 
        • 1) Schedule K-1: Beneficiaries receive a Schedule K-1 to report their share of the trust’s income, deductions, and credits on their personal Form 1040 or 1040-SR.
        • 2) on the 1041 grantor trust is checked. a letter rather than a k-1 is produced which the beneficiary must reenter in their tax return (1040)
        • 3) instead of filing the 1041 with the grantor statement or k-1 – is that we can file a 1040, but to do that we tell the payor or we tell the partnership, in the case of entity that is issuing a K-1, the social security number of the grantor. This is the grantor’s name, and then this is the address of the trust. All that information causes the 1099 or the K-1 to go out directly in the name of the grantor. So, we avoid all of that otherwise reporting that we have to do. And there are a couple of additional requirements but if the grantor is serving as the trustee, we do not have any additional requirements

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies