fivemcclungs

Issuing a 1042-S for freelance contract work?

I have a multi-member (2) LLC in the US. I contracted a freelance writer in Canada to do some copywriting for a U.S. based client project. I paid him $3500. Do I need to issue him a 1042-S? I asked him who asked his bookkeeper who said that he does need to worry about a 1042-S. 

I want to know whether or not I should issue one. And if I need to issue a 1042-S, was I required to withhold taxes? 

Carl

You need professional help. That's the bottom line. If contracted, you were required to have them fill out and provide you something like a W-8BEN I think. I don't know what the requirements were if you "hired" them as a W-2 employee. Either way, TurboTax can not deal with this. So you need professional help.

fivemcclungs

Thanks for the advice, Carl. I'll seek an accountant.

Frank