Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Issuing a 1042-S for freelance contract work?

I have a multi-member (2) LLC in the US. I contracted a freelance writer in Canada to do some copywriting for a U.S. based client project. I paid him $3500. Do I need to issue him a 1042-S? I asked him who asked his bookkeeper who said that he does need to worry about a 1042-S. 


I want to know whether or not I should issue one. And if I need to issue a 1042-S, was I required to withhold taxes? 

2 Replies
Level 15

Issuing a 1042-S for freelance contract work?

You need professional help. That's the bottom line. If contracted, you were required to have them fill out and provide you something like a W-8BEN I think. I don't know what the requirements were if you "hired" them as a W-2 employee. Either way, TurboTax can not deal with this. So you need professional help.

Level 1

Issuing a 1042-S for freelance contract work?

Thanks for the advice, Carl. I'll seek an accountant.



About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies