Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Issue with farm income categorization from previous year + car use

I have farmland in another state for which I get cash rent.  I make several trips a year to check on the property.

In 2020, my responses to the TurboTax questions I encountered when preparing my taxes resulted in the income being categorized as "Farm Income and Farm Rental." In the course of responding to questions about that income, I identified my personal vehicle use associated with that income (i.e. miles driven to and from the out of state property) as an expense.

For my 2021 filing (which I extended), my responses to the TurboTax questions have resulted in this income now being categorized as "Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)." I again responded to questions about vehicles use and show an associated expense for this.

The TurboTax "Your Income" page that has columns that let me easily compare how my numbers looked in 2020 vs. how they currently look shows both of those categories, with 2020's income in the "Farm Income and Farm Rental" column, and $0 in the 2021 column. Conversely, the "Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)" line shows $0 income in the 2020 column, and the 2021 income in that column.

When I was running the check just before filing, I got a message that said to "Check This Entry: Form 4835: Car and Truck Expenses - the car and truck worksheet or the 4562 associated with the 4835 must be completed when electronically filing."  It shows a form that seems to be connected to the "Farm Income and Farm Rental" category... but I did not enter any income or expenses under that category for my 2021 farm-related activities. 

It shows the car and truck expenses as $0 in this category, which is the correct amount (as these are recorded in a worksheet for the 2021"Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)").

When I "Continue" at the bottom of this page, it sends me back to a page saying I have an answer to review, and when I choose to review it, it sends me back to that same alert about the car and truck expenses.

How can I get out of this loop?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Issue with farm income categorization from previous year + car use

Contact Support for programmatic errors.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies