Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is a signed Form 8453-PE, E-File Declaration for Form 1065, needed to e-file a federal tax return using TurboTax Business software?

I'm not confident that I can e-file my LLC Partnership return using Turbo Tax Business, Form 1065, because Form 8453-PE, E-File Declaration for Form 1065, does not show as a signed form in the preview prior to submitting.

My TT Business software is up to date. I following all instructions to print, sign, make a pdf copy of the signed Form 8453-PE, and uploaded it to my LLC Partnership return. I have no error messages. The Electronic Filing Instructions for my 2023 Federal Tax Return states I “have signed Form 8453-PE and it was attached to the electronic file. No other signature document is needed.”

However, when I pulled up Form 8453-PE on the preview, it shows the unsigned Form 8453-PE that I previously printed to sign.  Is the form 8453-PE unsupported for e-file. The form 8453-PE is the signature declaration form for the return so it cannot be unsupported for e-file. This would make no sense that the Signature Declaration form would be unsupported. 

I’d appreciate someone please checking into this. This would mean every business return that used 1065 cannot e-file because every one of them would have a form 8453-PE Signature Declaration form attached to it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is a signed Form 8453-PE, E-File Declaration for Form 1065, needed to e-file a federal tax return using TurboTax Business software?

@gssulte7 wrote:

However, when I pulled up Form 8453-PE on the preview, it shows the unsigned Form 8453-PE that I previously printed to sign.  

That is correct and I don't know how else to explain it.

The signed 8453-PE does, in fact, get attached to your return BUT the list of forms, preview, etc. do NOT show the signed form; the signed form should be saved somewhere on your computer (it is not saved within the program for viewing or printing as a PDF).

View solution in original post

7 Replies

The signed form (8453-PE) that you uploaded is saved on your computer.

The 8453-PE in your list of forms in the program and the saved PDF will NOT show the signature since those forms were not printed out, signed, scanned, and then uploaded to the program by you.

No, as I stated, I followed all instructions to print, signed it, scanned it to make a pdf copy of the signed Form 8453-PE, and uploaded it to my LLC Partnership return.

My TT Business software is up to date. I have no error messages. The Electronic Filing Instructions for my 2023 Federal Tax Return states I “have signed Form 8453-PE and it was attached to the electronic file. No other signature document is needed.”

However, when I pulled up Form 8453-PE on the preview, it shows the unsigned Form 8453-PE that I previously printed to sign.  

@gssulte7 wrote:

That is correct and I don't know how else to explain it.

The signed 8453-PE does, in fact, get attached to your return BUT the list of forms, preview, etc. do NOT show the signed form; the signed form should be saved somewhere on your computer (it is not saved within the program for viewing or printing as a PDF).

I am having the exact same issue. I've attached the signed form 8453-PE three different times and it still does not show it as signed when it prints out or in the preview.  Also, the attachment notice is not visible. I've wasted a whole lot of time trying to view the attachment. It says it is in the top right corner of the screen but is not there. This seems to be a software issue.

It's on your computer, @patamoon 

If you printed, signed, scanned, and then uploaded the file to the program, you're fine.

Patamoon, submit your Federal.

This was my first time using TT Business.  For this year, on my partnership return, I asked why I could not find my signed copy of the Form 8453-PE.  Someone responded correctly that after the signed copy of Form 8453-PE is uploaded into TT Business to provide a signed document to TT, not the IRS.  TT will acknowledge that the signed form is now attached and accepted.  The signed 8453-PE does, in fact, get attached to your return BUT the list of forms, preview, etc. will NOT show the signed form; the signed form should be saved somewhere on your computer where you saved it to upload to TT.

I permitted access to a TT Agent so she could see what I had an issue on.  She looked at the form and confirmed that, in her experience, once the form is attached and accepted by TT, the signed form is not shown on either the preview or the saved pdf. 

I e-filed my partnership and received an email a few minutes later that the transmission was successful.  The email stated it will take 1 or 2 days for the government to process and accept your returns (longer for some states). I received an email 32 minutes later that my 2023 Federal Partnership filing was accepted by the IRS. 

I recommended to the TT Agent that TT needs to add a note that, once the form is accepted by TT, the signed form will not be shown on either the preview or the saved pdf. It would certainly save a lot of wasted time for people looking for the signed form 8453-PE in TT Business.

I have been using TT for filing my my LLC taxes for over 14 years. The signed Form 8453-PE has always shown in the preview of printed forms. Now, this year, even though TT tells me the form is attached, an unsigned form shows in the print preview. Something is haywire. I am going to go ahead, print my tax forms, and mail them with a return receipt proof of mailing. I've spent way too much time trying to deal with this. It is a waste of time. Turbo Tax needs to correct their software program!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies