Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OboeGirl1

Inventory Section Of Schedule C Is Driving Me Crazy

There may be a glitch in the system, or I am making an error.

I need help from anyone with knowledge of how inventory input works on turbotax. Nothing that is available on-line is helping me.

Here is the info that I think is needed for a solution.  All approximate numbers. I have a starting year inventory of "$6k" (It is incorrect and too low).  I have material purchases of "$3k".  I have calculated my actual materials cost for sales is "$10k". Sole proprietorship. No labor costs.  Minor additional costs that should not affect results.

Questions:

1) Should I input my best estimate of year end inventory to begin (asked for on first screed) or leave it blank and let the system do it? When I leave it blank it seems to explode year end inventory even more. I am getting inaccurate year end inventories either way.

2) Are material purchases in a separate category from the actual materials that I used. Where should they go? Should they be separate or together?

3) My year end inventory is exploding because there is something wrong with my inputs.  I don't know how this affects my taxes.  No changes that I make are actually converting to a dollar of change in my taxes even with a difference of as much as $10k in year end inventory.  It is all very strange.

4) Can I recalculate my opening inventory upward with a note of explanation, and if I do, is it likely that this will fix things?

I appreciate your help in this matter.

Kathy

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Inventory Section Of Schedule C Is Driving Me Crazy

Why is your beginning inventory figure "incorrect"? It should be the same figure as your ending inventory from the previous year.

You need to input your ending inventory (most likely the cost of the goods you have on hand). The program will not calculate that figure for you (it will calculate your Cost of Goods Sold, however).

You should know (or be able to reconstruct) how much you paid for material during the tax year and that is the figure that should be entered as the "Cost of Purchases".

Estimates may be necessary but you should note that you may have issues if the IRS ever questions your estimates.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies