Inventory $1M or $26M?

Drettyone

Inventory $1M or $26M?

I'm trying to sort this out and have spent a long time reading all the previous questions, an irs.gov pubs. 

I'm a sole proprietor (different issue I'm fixing this year).

Turbo tax home and business tells me I need to report inventory if my gross sales is over $1M.

The forums here say I only need to do this is my average over each of the last 3 years is $1M/year.

The forums also say, quoting IRS pub 334 that I don't need to report inventory unless I'm over $26M.

I verified IRS pub 334 does say that and makes no mention of the $1M limit. It says "small businesses" are exempt if under $26M. However Turbo Tax post 1 day ago, quoting this says "large businesses" when referring to $26M.

Here's why I need to know:

My average gross for last 3 years is under $1M/year, meaning if the average is the rule, I'm not required to report.

2020 alone was over $1M, so if I have to go year by year, and $1M is the limit - I'm required to report.

If the $26M is the limit then I'm obviously exempt from reporting inventory. 

Which is it?

And I understand the whole bit about I need to report all expenses, etc. It's just a matter of if I report them under inventory or other expenses.

Please help as I'm getting near the "I don't care anymore" point.

Thanks.

tagteam

Inventory $1M or $26M?

Section 471(c) of the Code exempts small businesses.

See https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/471

Section 448(c)(1) of the Code defines small businesses as those whose average annual gross receipts for the past three years do not exceed $25M.

See https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/448#a_3

Drettyone

Inventory $1M or $26M?

Thank you!

I read this somewhere else as well while waiting for a reply, so will go with it.

Thanks for the fast reply!