Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sadoshju

In Form 1040, schedule 5, line 74, I claimed $3667 credit for my repaid salary. How does IRS figure out why I claim the credit? Do I have to attach the proof?

I calculated the amount which I overpaid for 2017 Tax federal tax return and claimed as a credit. Will I be requested from IRS that I should provide details ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

In Form 1040, schedule 5, line 74, I claimed $3667 credit for my repaid salary. How does IRS figure out why I claim the credit? Do I have to attach the proof?

which credit?
sadoshju

I overpaid federal tax last year: Since my employer mistakenly paid me a wrong amount in 2017, I had to return the portion of overpayment in 2018. I believe that I can pay less federal tax this year. In order to do so, I calculated the difference in federal Tax between what I paid and the correct amount (calculated using the actual salary) and plan to request that amount as a federal tax credit to reduce that amount from the 2018 federal tax.

Take it off your 2018 Schedule 5.  You'll have to amend 2017.

How to Amend 2017

sadoshju

My employer did not want to give me a revised W-2. They gave me a letter instead describing that the total amount of the salary was wrong and I returned the difference. Can I modify the amount of Box1 of W2 when I amend the 2017 return?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies