Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2017 I invested $15k in an LLC. This year the partnership ended. I never received any dividends and have never taken a loss. How do I claim loss of original investment

K-1s from 2018 & 2019 show slight losses, and 2020 a slight offsetting gain to get back to the balance of my initial investment. How do I now claim loss from initial investment that's not shown on the K-1?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

In 2017 I invested $15k in an LLC. This year the partnership ended. I never received any dividends and have never taken a loss. How do I claim loss of original investment

The K-1 seems very strange. you say that over the years, no distributions,  and gains and losses net to zero. then one would expect there to be money in the LLC  to pay back your investment.   anyway, since you would seem to have a basis of $15K received $0 you have a long-term capital loss of $15K. 

jtax
Level 10

Did you enter the 2017/2018/2019/2020 k-1s into TT?

Was this a passive activity (very common)? If so the losses were likely "suspended" but will now be allowed.

It is important that you enter the K-1 properly (mark as final and fully disposed of).  

See this other discussion for more details.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/re-final-k1-business-closed/01/2215014

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies