turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

asp32087

If my stimulus was added to my return is it garnishable

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are referring to the second stimulus money (2020), then the Second-Round Payments Can't be Garnished

The COVID-Related Tax Relief Act specifically states that second-round stimulus checks are not subject to garnishment by creditors or debt collectors.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) says it will not garnish stimulus checks for back taxes. ... It can take your entire stimulus check, up to the amount that you owe. If you're married to someone who owes child support (and you don't), you can file an injured spouse form.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are referring to the second stimulus money (2020), then the Second-Round Payments Can't be Garnished

The COVID-Related Tax Relief Act specifically states that second-round stimulus checks are not subject to garnishment by creditors or debt collectors.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) says it will not garnish stimulus checks for back taxes. ... It can take your entire stimulus check, up to the amount that you owe. If you're married to someone who owes child support (and you don't), you can file an injured spouse form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies